ONE-POT CHORIZO & TOMATO PASTA
No need for a colander when you make this fast, delicious one-pot dinner, which has a lovely smokiness from the chorizo and a deep, rich tomato taste. See Papa Grandé’s Tips below for suggestions about ringing the changes to this versatile family recipe.
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 15 minutes Serves: 4 - 6
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
- 200 g chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 80 g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) dried chilli flakes
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1.6 litres hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 500 g Pasta Grandé Penne
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a pan (it should be big enough to hold all the pasta) and gently fry the chorizo and onion for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes, herbs and chilli flakes, cook for 1 more minute, without letting the garlic brown.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, hot stock and pasta, stir very well and bring to the boil.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring very often to separate the pasta pieces, for about 8-10 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve with shavings of Parmesan and chopped fresh parsley.
- You can ring the changes to this recipe by adding other veggies of your choice – red peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, spinach and so on.
- If the pasta cooks through before most of the liquid has been absorbed, let the pot stand, covered, on the stove for 5 minutes.
- Other Pasta Grandé shapes you can use in this recipe: Macaroni, Gnocchi, Cavatappi, Elbows and Screws.
One-Pot Chorizo & Tomato Pasta
You can ring the changes to this recipe by adding other veggies of your choice – red peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, spinach and so on.